Thursday, December 16, 2010

I just like the center

One of my biggest problems in taking photos, is that I really struggle with the rule of thirds. 
Here are some sights that explain this for those that may not know. 
 
Anyhow, I took this picture today of my two guys.  I even cropped it to what I thought looked good. 



However, when I actually applied a grid, I realized that the picture would actually be better cropped a little more, so that the eyes fall on the top line.

What do you think?




Anyhow, this is such a struggle for me.  I know it is a rule that can sometimes be broken, but I break it way more often than I should, and I need to get out of the middle.  I read somewhere that all art applies this rule, even in movies.  If you were to put a piece of paper in the middle portion of the grid on your tv screen, you would still be able to know what was going on, because most of the action happens on the outside of that square.  I tried it, and was amazed how true it was.  Our eyes have a hard time staying in the middle, it always wants to go out of that.  Try it sometime and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment